TrueCrypt is a software system for establishing and maintaining an on-the-fly-encrypted volume (data storage device). On-the-fly encryption means that data is automatically encrypted right before it is saved and decrypted right after it is loaded, without any user intervention. No data stored on an encrypted volume can be read (decrypted) without using the correct password/keyfile(s) or correct encryption keys. Entire file system is encrypted (e.g., file names, folder names, contents of every file, free space, meta data, etc).
Microsoft Security Essentials
Use Microsoft Security Essentials to guard against viruses, spyware, and other evil software. It provides real-time protection for your home or small business PCs.
Microsoft Security Essentials is free and is designed to be simple to install and easy to use. It runs quietly and efficiently in the background so you don’t have to worry about interruptions or making updates.
SugarSync’s online backup, file sync, and sharing service makes it easy to automatically syncronise documents, music, photos, and videos across computers and mobile devices. Sync between PCs, Macs, even sync your mobile phone.
- Multiple folders means one account for the whole family.
- With the 5GB free account, you have plenty of space for your essential files, if you need more space, the rates are cheaper than you would expect.
- Allows you to share folders with friends, colleges or the public & receive email notification when the files are accessed.
- Easily add any folder to Sugarsync, just right/control click on the folder and select “Add to sugarsync”
- Paid Accounts can share folders with free accounts and it doesn’t add to the free accounts quota …
Backblaze was designed to be really easy to use. There is no need to select the folders and filetypes you want to backup. It backs up EVERYTHING, because Backblaze has unlimited storage, so you never have to worry about going over some limit and paying extra.
- Unlimited storage.
- Unlimited bandwidth.
- Unlimited file size.
- For US$6 per month (updated pricing 2019), its an awesome deal.
- They provide the specs for their hardware and setup on their blog, so you can see how they do it.
- BackBlaze even supports customised encryption certificates, so that everything they store, can only be decrypted by you.
Syncthing is a continuous file synchronization program. It synchronizes files between two or more computers in real time, safely protected from prying eyes. Your data is your data alone and you deserve to choose where it is stored, whether it is shared with some third party, and how it’s transmitted over the internet.
- Private. None of your data is ever stored anywhere else other than on your computers. There is no central server that might be compromised, legally or illegally.
- Encrypted. All communication is secured using TLS. The encryption used includes perfect forward secrecy to prevent any eavesdropper from ever gaining access to your data.
- Authenticated. Every node is identified by a strong cryptographic certificate. Only nodes you have explicitly allowed can connect to your cluster.
- Open Protocol. The protocol is a documented specification — no hidden magic.
- Open Source. All source code is available on GitHub — what you see is what you get, there is no hidden funny business.
- Open Development. Any bugs found are immediately visible for anyone to browse — no hidden flaws.
- Open Discourse. Development and usage is always open for discussion.
- File Versioning means that if files are altered by ransomware, you have backup versions on another machine.